Sunday, March 29, 2015

10K: Week Two

Upon going back to look at the training plans I'd picked out at the start of this journey I'm having trouble figuring out what I did. I had planned to do the Hal Higdon 5k and 10k novice plans but upon going back to the website and inspecting them, they're not what I remember. Did they change or am I taking more liberties with tweaking them than I remember? The 5k plan I did seems to be a combination of the 5k and 8k plans? I haven't done anything wrong, I like the training plan I came up with. I'm consistently training and it's worth it. That's what matters. I will have to tweak things more as we go along. I'm just not an expert at knowing how to train myself for longer distances than 5k. I don't know what specific workout combinations will help me safely build mileage, mental toughness, and endurance for longer races. I can get myself close, It just won't be as fine tuned as it could be. This makes me nervous, but I have confidence in myself.

Mon 2.5mi+core- Wayne and I had the day off together so we went to a local Chinese buffet that we've been wanting to try. It was delicious and I tried lots of things I've never had before. However, something I ate didn't agree with me and I got sick and puked it all up. I felt much better after and had hoped to at least go bike at the gym but we decided to go look at a home for sale that was a decent commute away and didn't get back in time before the gym closed.

Tue 30min split+strength- Oy! I got a week ahead of myself again. Instead of splitting the run with some biking Wayne and I just ran 35min on the trails at work to make up for some of the time I missed on my feet yesterday. It was a fairly relaxed pace but I feel my hamstrings are doing more work then my quads and gluts again.

Wed 2mi run- Ran my usual 2mi loop in the opposite direction around Mount Holly so that I ran the steep elevation change uphill instead of down. It felt a little kinder to my knees

Fri 40min split+core- I was running a little late to the gym again. I did a 20min run in the park plus a 15min stationary bike and then finished with a final 5min run around the gym under the street lights so I could see. Our neighbor works at the gym and I forgot to renew my membership payment at the town hall but he was nice to let me in anyway just this once. I  bumped up the resistance level to 6 a little more often this time over the duration of the biking. Perhaps because I was only doing 15min and trying to make up for not quite doing 20. I felt like my legs where working well, and all the right muscles where working in the right amount and ways. My gluts, quads, foot stabilizers and, leg imbalances are working themselves out more. I can feel my left leg catching up.

Sat 3.5mi- I did a little core and foam rolling but I should do it more often. I focused on having light feet and relaxed arms moving in the direction I'm going. I had to shake out my arms and neck to stay relaxed. I'm also trying to stare down at the ground less, and out more. Mentally it can seem hard to look ahead at how far I still have to go but the view is prettier. When staring down I stay more focused in my head on the current moment on how my form and other things feel. I feel my feet and hip stabilizer muscles getting stronger my form is slowly improving.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this training plan. I don't like that my longest run is split up between running and biking. It doesn't boost my mental toughness or confidence to do two shorter runs. As much as I try to jump on the bike as quickly as possible after the run, I still have to sign in at the gym or take off a layer of clothing. It doesn't allow the two exercises to feel like a sustained effort. I don't want my heart rate to slow so much between activities.

I do understand the value of running the day after my longest run (or split run in this case) so that my body knows what it feels like to run when it's tired. But I don't know that it's working well with my recovery. The 10k plan was designed the way it is for a reason. I have tweaked it a bit to fit my weekly schedule and to try to adapt it to match up with and continue from the 5k plan I just finished. My body has gotten used to the 5k plan that I was doing and I'm having trouble knowing where to meet in the middle. What change is good for the 10k race?


After going back and reading the instructions that come with the 10k plan. It states that the Sunday runs it has listed  (I'm doing this weekly plan shifted a day earlier) are the long runs. In my mind I've been treating the Sat cross/split days as my long runs. The plan says cross training days should be recovery effort. When I finished the 5k plan I was doing long runs of 5-6miles so it seems silly to me to do a 3mile long run now. However the 10k plan does have much more cross training planned in then the 5k plan which is why I had chosen to make the cross train days split with running. The plan changed from 4days of running with a day of weights and cross training to 3 days of running with2 long cross train days 2days of weights and a day of core. I guess I found myself a little overwhelmed. But, hey, That's what this blog is for, so I can sort out my thoughts and have you lovely readers keep me accountable. Perhaps I'll give this one more trial week and If I still don't like the split run days maybe I'll run the whole time of the first cross train day, and then cross train the whole time of the second? Perhaps I should try to lighten up a bit on those long cross train days too. We'll see...Here's to the future and brave new adventures!


No comments:

Post a Comment