Sunday, March 15, 2015

5K: Week Nine

I extended the 8 week Hal Higdon training plan by a week so that I could run a slightly later race at the USNWC with my staff discount. My body is ready for this taper week before the race on Saturday.

Mon 3mi- It's been warm (in the mid 60's) for the past two days and the trails finally dried out enough to open. I ran the 3mi pink loop, which I believe will be the race rout, and was pleasantly surprised to find it felt rather short and easy. I probably should have stuck closer to the exact race rout posted on the website, but if I did run less than three miles I can't imagine it was much less. I felt like I was running rather slow. My quads and gluts are having a little trouble engaging again. The change in running shoes and form is working different muscles. I'm humbled and reminded I'm still just building mileage. Maybe it's good this race won't be timed. I'm running more slowly and timidly down hill than usual for me which may be causing some excess impact forces, slight runners knee, and tight hamstrings.

Tue 20min XT+strength- I was without a running car today so I took the road bike to the gym which took me about 6 minutes. I got lucky with the traffic light. I did a 15min bike in the gym because I figured the bike to and from the gym would make up for the 5min I didn't do on the stationary bike. I also did the lite weight circuit I've been doing in the gym. It's always nice to leave the gym with my muscles shaking a little. Reminds me that even though I don't feel I'm doing much it's maybe more than I think. I noticed a difference from skipping the weights in the previous week. Need to do more core.

Wed 2mi- Beautiful 70 degree day with a light misty rain. Was likely a brisker pace but It's my last training run before the race and I couldn't resist letting loose just a little bit. The imbalances in my legs seem to be evening out a bit. My mental attempts to monitor my supination is a little exhausting though.

Fri 15min easy- A little frustrated with myself. I should have run at work as soon as I got off but I had some other errands I needed to run and I lost the daylight. I decided I didn't want to run in the dark cold rain so I went to the gym. Running late, I only did 11 min on the very old elliptical machine which has a very unnatural running stride. I should have just run on the treadmill instead.


Sat Race!- I went in undecided about how to run the race. Do I run casually just to see how my body acts in a race scenario? Or am I in it to try win it. I eventually chose something in between. I knew that with an untimed race and a very muddy wet and rainy day anything could happen. I started toward the front of the starting line but tried to go out at my own pace and not get caught in race start adrenaline. I paced one guy and girl that passed me for about a half mile but I managed to kick it in a lot more that I'd anticipated I would, and I passed them and several other people to the finish to be- to my surprise- the second female over all. Yay! I had no idea. I was just climbing people during the whole race.  I am rather proud of myself that I didn't allow anyone to out pace and pass me over the net distance. My race time was something under 25min. Not fast but ok for where I am in my training now. I do feel bad I almost trampled a little guy trying to pass on a tight turn.  The race course was different than I'd expected- more on the service roads than single track trails but I think it made it a little better- easier to pass people. I seem to be better mentally prepared for racing than last year when I ran the Frigid 5k.

I'd like some arch support when not running. I'm trying putting arch supports in a pair of my minimalist racing flats from high school. The arch supports don't seem to be too much since the shoes are flexy. I'm hoping they'll allow my feet to get stronger and move as there supposed to. I like the combination so far but I feel like wearing these for more than one day in a row doesn't work. I wobble a little funny when I walk and have to think about using my feet the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment