Sunday, March 1, 2015

5k: Week Seven

Just two more weeks till the Color Me Green 5k race and I'm starting to get excited! Having run mostly distances 5k or less in high school and college, I'm having to over come mental barriers when thinking about racing and training for longer distances. The focus is no longer speed so much as quality mileage and recovery. But I'm not even past the 5k yet, right? So no need to worry. Remember, just take it one day at a time.

Mon 3mi- The number 3 was more of a mental milestone than I thought it would be. It made me kind of nervous before I set out on the run. This is the first day I ran race distance. I just reminded myself that I ran 2.75mi twice last week and that's only a quarter mile less than three. Besides what am I thinking getting nervous? I ran like six miles on Saturday last week. I am not quite recovered from my extended long run last week. I ran an extra 5min more than I was scheduled to and, though 5min doesn't seem like much, I am feeling it. My calves are rather tight and my achillies started to ache just a tiny bit. I'll try to allow for recovery on the bike and strength training tomorrow.

Tue 22min bike+strength- What a day! woke up to a half inch of SNOW on the ground! We did our annual Simulation-X ( X for extreme!) at work. It was quite fun running around the Whitewater Center with snow on the ground and not a guest in sight (closed to guests on winter Tuesdays). Part of our challenge was to have the group collectively run or walk 26.2miles. Everyone on the team had to do at least one mile....I'm pretty sure I did about 10 (ran 5-6 walked 4-5).  I realized during SimX that I wasn't going to get my planned workout done because I had a CPR/First Aid class to attend after work so I got to exercising while I could. Think I won't run tomorrow but will go to the weight room.

Wed 2mi- Well as a recovery decision I'm not running today but went to the gym to lift weights. My gluts are super-duper tight and my achilles tendons are complaining a bit because of the running I did in my high top hiking boots yesterday.Considering a light jog tomorrow to work ot the kinks.

Fri 3mi- Oy, what a stressful emotional rollercoaster of a day! I dream of a rustic little two story cob house in the woods. We tried to put a bid in on a house up for auction but the price shot about $25000 over our maximum price. Sigh...I guess we'll eventually find the perfect place... eventually. This house is all we've been thinking about for the past few days and I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to run today. I wanna eat my feelings, or go do some retail therapy, or just curl up and sulk. But, I'll be happier if I just run. It's beautiful and sunny outside. Three miles again presented a small mental hurdle to get out the door and have faith I can do it well enough.

Sat 61min- Because I took two recovery days in a row off of running this week my brain struggled a bit to maintain it's mental confidence for my long run. I got ahead in my training schedule last week and did 60min long run so I had to remind myself I could do it again this week too. I ran the same rout I ran last week as further proof by comparison. I was excited to find that I closed about a 30 second gap with another lady running on the Whitewater Parkway within somewhere between a half to full mile's distance. Point being, it felt nice to have a chance to race someone a little- in my head for my mental confidence. My form continues to improve. Imbalances in my legs are lessening and my foot strike is becoming less supinated. felt my hip flexors and stabilizer muscles in my feet knees and hips working today. It's really nice to feel improvement. The gradual differences build confidence too. I feel less tired after doing more running when my form is more efficient and improved. Left achillies tendon tight after.


Not excited about Pink-ness
Finally picked up a pair of new shoes! Buying buying them was a little frustrating. I'm wanting to switch to a more natural or neutral shoe from the over correcting I've done for years. I ended up buying a pair of Asics, similar to what I've been running in since high school. I'm afraid of them, that they'll continue my bad habits and foster bad form even though they are a cushioned neutral shoe instead of a stability shoe. I ended up choosing what I did because I feel it will last longer than a softer foam shoe would but I'm afraid the rubber is still too ridged and will be controlling. I'd also hoped to get a shoe with less heel drop. But I'll make more changes and progress slowly with my next pair of shoes I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment