Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Marathon Training: Week Fourteen

Mon (10/5) 3mi run + 50min bike- got off work too late to go to the gym and run so I had to choose. It's still probably best that I only ran the 3mi and didn't do the biking too because that's closer to the mileage what I've done in the past few weeks and I don't want to pile on too much extra mileage and time on my legs too fast.

Tue (10/6) 45min bike + 1.5mi run- Nice to workout in the middle of the day when it's bright sunny and warm outside. I took the running pace fairly easy and adjusted the biking resistance up and down every 10 min. I only did one extended set of light-ish weights since I haven't done much with weights in the past few weeks.

Wed (10/7) 30min elip + 1.5mi pace- I'm really enjoying working out in the gym and getting to read magazines. I miss learning and reading. I focused on keeping my stride balanced while ellipticaling. I did the 1.5mi at approximately an 8:30 pace around the park. the first mile was almost uncomfortably hard but the last half mile felt swell and was probably faster than intended pace. I'd like to do more speed-ish workouts now and then to test my body's pace and get a better feeling for how I might do in the race.

Fri (10/9) 12mi run- I finally did it! I ran in the morning before work- all 12 miles! Granted I did finish the run 5min before I had to leave my house to drive to work which meant I only had time to wash my face, change clothes and stuff some food in a bag for breakfast/lunch. It was a busy day with school  groups out and I didn't have much time to eat or drink. By the end of the day my body was so sore and starved I had a splitting headache. I did take a graham cracker with me and ate 1/4 of it every 3miles while out on the run. I think I may need to start taking liquid nutrition though. I've been looking into hydration vests and belts. I may try to MacGyver something of my own. I think I've definitely settled on wanting a soft flask so that it will conform to my body and will shrink as I drink from it.

Sat (10/10) 75min cross- I feel so silly! I completely forgot about the short gym hours today (from 9am-1pm). Not that it would have mattered. I had to be at work at 8:30am and didn't get off till 2something so I missed the gym all together. This is a winter problem. I may be picking up a Craigslist bike trainer soon so that I can cross train at home on the days I can't make it to the gym. My calves and right hip flexor are so sore I'm walking a little funny today. I don't feel like doing much. I know it probably would help to take an ice bath and to do a long easy cross train session though.

Sun (10/11) ice & roll- I ran an easy-ish 2miles today in the hope of shaking the crud out of my legs from Friday's long run. I also did a bit more foam rolling.

This weeks picture painted by: Me! I went to a painting event with one of my co-wrkers by The Creatory where we did a predetermined speed painting in 2 hours. Scary and fun. Forcing me not to worry about the little details along the way and just rough in the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment