Thursday, May 14, 2015

10k: Week Eight


Only one more week till the first RiverJam Race and my 10k! What a ride training for this race has been. We'll see how it pays off...

Mon 3mi run- Did the 3mi USNWC parkway. I ran on the asphalt the whole time. It's very different from running on the grass, like I usually do, but my Asics are meant for pavement. On a consistently flat surface I could better focus on evening out my stride and,, hopefully, allow my ankles to work the way they want and not over work to stabilize. My muscles feel nice and well worked and balanced. Better consistent form on a smooth surface.

Tue 45min cross train+strength- I split cross training between elliptical and upright bike again and did another two circuits of weights.

Wed 2mi run+core- I just did a light 2mi run on Hawfield road in my new Brooks PureFlow 3 shoes. I really like the way they feel and make/allow me to run. I feel more sure footed on uneven gravel and my calves feel less strained because they don't have a high heel. My stride feels more natural.

Fri 60min cross train- Surprise! 24hour Time Laps Race. I ran 6.2mi at 8pm as the second leg of our 12 person relay. It was night time when I finished  the run. I wore my Asics gel-evate shoes and of course rolled my left ankle again in the dark. I felt a little tendon stretch pop this time. The ankle swoll a lot more than when I last rolled it. Because the Asics are so ridged I think I will have to stop wearing them at night because if my foot starts to tip the shoe has a point of no return where it begins to force my foot to roll. I will try to wear the Asics on pavement more instead of the trails. I iced well that night. Brought an ice pack in pre-anticipation.


Sat 6mi run- I ran 8.2 more miles at 8am and then 4.5mi at 5pm. It was so much fun to get to help with the race! I got to help with the computer scoring system. I slept from 1-4am. Both Wayne and I had swollen legs afterward. I ran 17.5mi and Wayne ran 19.5mi I think. After sleeping I went back to helping with the computer an kept my left leg elevated up on the table. I transferred to my new Brooks for the rest of the race so that the shoes would work a little more with my feet to flex and absorb the contours of the trails. I love these shoes! they did a really good job. I'm interested to see how long the squishy foam holds up to my mileage. We met a lot of amazing runners and had a crazy amazing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment